It's my last day at the radio station today. Six years, two months of learning, embarassing mistakes that very literally left me in the corner in the fetal position, and lots of proud moments, where people would let me know that something that I said/played really made their day, or that they love listening to me. I went from pushing buttons during Sports Nightly (yep, Jamie missed a break again) to being the Music Director of one station, and the Assistant Music Director for another. It feels weird... it feels real, it feels sad...and it feels like it's time to go. I have literally grown up here, in this building. Through my whole life, I've leaned on this job for a constant in my life...a constant that is mine--beyond family or friends, it's my JOB, this thing that I've created, that's ME, and it's been such a blessing to have such a kickass job through my 20's. Man, I've been lucky, and I've met the most amazing people, and EVERYONE that I've worked with has made this HUGE impact on my life, whether they know it or not. It is like a family, and I feel like I'm not only leaving my real mom, dad, and brother, but 15 other siblings that have done nothing but help me and teach me the past 6 years. And had it not been for this job, I never would have met the love of my life, Clint! He started as a sales person in October, and the first night that we actually hung out outside of work, we started dating.
And now I'm on to...literally bigger things. I'm moving to Austin in the end of January/beginning of February, and I've started this blog to keep everyone updated on what is going on in my life as I move into the "big city" to make an attempt to jump off a bridge and try to land in the water and not the firey blaze that is the economy right now. As for a living situation, we are going to be staying with Clint's best friend since grade school, Jesse, in his 3 bedroom house. Regarding jobs, there's a rock station---www.klbjfm.com---(if you want to check it out) that is hiring right now and I mailed my application last night. I had everyone put their blessings on it before I mailed it, and one of our sales people, Alan, did a "Father, Son and Holy Spirit" over it with a cross...haha. I am crossing my fingers that I don't get thrown in the pit of ignored resumes.
But if it doesn't, I'm prepared. I am thinking about going back to school to major in Psychology again...in my most recent Yoga Journal, there was an article about a group of therapists that were combining yoga and counseling, and I'd like to be one of those. Also, I am somewhat interested in working at a concert arena, I'd like to be a part of the 'behind the scenes' of concerts, since it's one of my favorite things to do.
I feel like there have been lots of signs that have told me that this is the thing to do---at work, we were put in the position where management had to lay someone off, and I had been talking about leaving anyway, it was sort of the boost that I needed to make the jump. My relationship with Clint has been the most amazing experience of my life--all the cliche things that people say, like "He makes me want to be a better person" and "I just know" have been ringing strong in my ears since we started dating; even though we had only been dating for a few months when he decided he may have to move to find a job, we both knew that we were going to stick together through this experience... even though many people thought that my moving has been incredibly impulsive, and literally crazy, it has been the step that I've needed to take to....well, to make me an adult. And it feels right. I think everyone can identify with that.
So...as I near the final hours of my DJ career at Hits 106...I have to schedule music for the next 3 days, so I have to get back to work. Peace out, til next time.
Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment